Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Soap Box.

/Soap Box On

I will not be climbing on my soap box very often on this site, but today I feel I have to.

While I am in an extremely happy hetero-sexual marriage, and was even married in the Catholic church, I am saddened by today's California Supreme Court ruling, to uphold the constitutionality of Proposition 8. It frightens me to think they have set a precedent to allow a majority to restrict or remove the rights of a minority.

I know it has been a long time since my high and college civics classes, but I always thought the constitution was a document designed to protect and grant rights to the people, not to remove them.

What bothers me the most is this whole situation has put me in a position to support my mother-in-law! (Who married her partner Sandy in August 2008) I mean come on! Why should I have to side with her on anything, that just isn't right!

And lastly, come on! California is now officially less progressive than Iowa? Whaaaa? How did a fly-over state on the fringe of the Bible Belt become more progressive than California, and grant constitutional freedoms that California has refused to acknowledge?

/Soap Box Off

2 comments:

  1. I like to think one day, we'll look back on this like we look back now on laws that discriminated against people of a different race and gender.

    I really hope that day is soon.

    ReplyDelete