Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Beer Snob? Yeah kinda

So I am so ashamed to admit it, but I am a huge fan of TJ's monthly summary of Cosmo. After reading/commenting on the post, and comments I feel it is my duty to bring up something in the comments.

Yes I am a bit of a beer snob. I will not drink beer from a can, I do sometimes drink bottled beer, but only out of a mug, or pilsner glass, or a wheat beer glass you know whatever the particular brew calls for. Just like the wine snobs we love to make fun of, beer tastes better when drank from the proper glassware.

The other thing I am ashamed to admit is I read Maxim. Really I am not that guy. (lol bewbies he he) But Maxim has a few articles I enjoy, and their tech gadget coverage is better than most anyplace else.

This month they had a article about the 25 best new beers. I do not really understand what their criteria for "New" is as some of them are quite old. It is pretty informative for those of us who enjoy beer, but do not really know where to go after venturing from Bud, or Coors to something more exotic like Sierra Nevada. This list has a pretty good selection of beers, and they tell you what it tastes like using terms you can throw around to impress your friends.

The problem is the article looses all of its credibility when they recommend Bud Light Wheat. Really? When I read that it sent me into such a nerd rage I scared the cat. There has to be 1000 easily available good Hefeweizens on the market. It appalls me that they would recommend what might be the worst wheat beer available in the United States. I feel I can criticize them both as a beer snob, and due to the fact that I live less than 5 miles from their California brewery.

On to happier subjects, from my personal brewery in the backyard I have tapped my first ever keg of Heffewizen. I made it with 6 pounds of Bavarian wheat, and 2oz Bavarian hops at boil and another ounce at finish. I am quite proud of the outcome, although it has a strange banana flavor at finish. I need to figure out what I did wrong there and correct it for next time. Also my first ever completely original recipe will be going in the keg tonight and should be ready to drink by mid-February. It is an American Ale. I used 4 pounds of honey and 2 pounds of malt, with an ounce of bitter orange peel at finish. I will let you know how it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment